Curriculum Intent Statement
At St. Sebastian’s R.C. Primary School, our curriculum has our faith, pupil learning and welfare at its heart. Using the National Curriculum, our lessons have been designed to ensure that the pupils enjoy their learning, that the curriculum is purposeful and that it prepares them for life in the wider world. We recognise that a curriculum has to be broad, balanced and offer pupils opportunities to grow as individuals as well as learners.
Through a combination of teaching techniques, we use approaches that ‘feel active’ – drama, orally rehearsing, paired talk, working with media texts and ICT. We also offer our pupils new and exciting experiences through extra-curricular activities that are designed to build resilience, confidence and self-esteem.
We have the highest expectations of all learners and our lessons have been carefully sequenced to build on knowledge and skills and allow the children to study aspects of the curriculum in-depth. A range of subjects are taught in blocks over each half term and we revisit themes and concepts so that pupils not only acquire a secure understanding of an area, but can apply this understanding across subjects and themes and link concepts and ideas over time across key stages. We also use our local area as much as possible to facilitate knowledge and learning.
All pupils at our school will be encouraged to become highly articulate and to foster a love of reading. Topics are supported by high quality texts which enhance the teaching of English.
We want our school’s core Gospel values to be lived in the children’s experience of the curriculum; love, respect, compassion, courage, hope, integrity, and justice.
'Keeping Christ at the heart of all we do.'
• To nurture and develop well rounded capable and caring individuals.
• To give children the skills, knowledge and attitudes to lead a rich and fulfilling life.
In order to achieve the above we need to ensure children:
• Have firm foundations of basic skills which they can use and apply.
• Have a broad range of exciting and creative opportunities to discover and nurture their individual talents.
• Develop a set of core human values which underpin their development and their sense of uniqueness and self worth as an individual.
• Have access and opportunity for all individuals to achieve their potential.
The St. Sebastian’s Primary School curriculum consists of:
• The National Curriculum core and foundation subjects which are taught through a relevant, contextual and inspiring creative curriculum.
• R.E. permeates the whole curriculum and life of the school. We follow the 'Come and See' programme of study ensuring all directed objectives in the Religious Education Curriculum Directory are taught across the school. We use additional resources such as Caritas in Action.
• An enrichment programme including dedicated Creative Art Weeks, Diversity Weeks, a range of performances, partnerships with the Lowry Theatre, local business and organisations, educational visits, eco-school education and practical sessions to promote health and well being.
• A programme of extracurricular activities which include creative and physical opportunities.